Dad's Army

Image result for dad's army
I am not a fan of Dad’s Army, but I did enjoy the spin-off original film to the series. It had some good laughs in it. This, I have to say, is minor league comedy. However, it is perfect family viewing when you just want to relax and enjoy a film which won’t test your knowledge very much, but will provide you with a bit of entertainment. The film started out really obvious, I think, with its basic gags. And overall, I think that the comedy is either hit-or-miss, really. I’d say that this is a fine film, a bit above average. I was expecting to not like it at all, but I found myself quite enjoying some scenes.

Toby Jones is great in his role, he really lives the part. However, at the start I didn’t really buy him doing comedy because I’ve seen him in his other dramatic roles. But I think some of his scenes did strike a much better cord comedy-wise. He had some of the funniest scenes.

Bill Nighy was great, like all of the actors, but he gave a more layered performance, his character being fleshed out more than the others, I think.

Catherine Zeta-Jones was great, also. Her English accent was spot on after performing in a dozen American productions. It was great to have her in the cast to light up the screen.

When the film ended, the audience applauded. All in all, it is a fine film.

Also, thank you for the marvellous screening at The Spring Arts and Heritage Centre.

Comments