The Babadook

Image result for The Babadook
Ominous tapping and knocking sounds when there’s no one there? Or is there? Creepy, crudely drawn drawings? Scary phone calls with deep voices on the end of the line? You got it. This film doesn’t have very much original ideas about it, but the way it’s executed gives it a unique flavour. Whilst I did enjoy most of the horror elements, this really isn’t a horror movie. Well, not a typical story that you may be expecting from a scary figure terrorising a mother and son.

The film starts ominously with a shot of the mother in a car accident which takes the life of her husband. The film then follows their getting to terms with the death, and it’s really about them. It is not so much a horror film than a family crisis film with some horror elements, which is just as well, because it is interesting to watch these characters (played by wonderful actors). I also think this film does a good job, and is better at being scary and creepy, at showing just enough of the Babadook (which is creepy) to create an ominous feeling. This is the sad exception in one scene which shows the Babadook on the ceiling. It’s sad because I think the being looks a bit too cartoony. I love the scenes where it’s behind doors, in the dark and you only catch small glimpses of it. The Babadook isn’t shown a lot in this film, and I think that worked in its favour for this film. I have to say, I prefer Insidious, which is way more creepier than this film, but that’s if you want to watch a horror film. If you want family drama, this one will be for you more so than Insidious.

I wouldn’t say this is a perfect movie, but it kept me interested throughout and it did have some creepy scenes. The ending was good, and I had fun overall. I would recommend.

Comments