Screeching Crawlers Part 1

I sat on the cabin's porch floor, looking out at the crops we had been growing for years now. I loved the way they were all together. It was just like a big family, and I just enjoyed sitting out here, watching them.

I was all on my own on this farm. My parents had moved out a couple of years back and had left me to see to the crops. They had gotten tired of looking after the whole place, they had told me.

I didn't mind staying here. I liked it. It was an escape, and I liked it to where they were staying now. They were staying in an apartment in a big city, quite a few miles from the crops.

They were happy, and I was happy. I didn't see a lot of people but I tried my best and sometimes went to the town shopping mall where I could catch up on news, what was happening in the world.

I was on my own there, but it didn't hurt me much. Sometimes, I lay in bd and looked up at the ceiling, trying to think how life would have been if I had friends around everyday. What it would have been like if I had been in the 'cool' crowd at my school.

At school I had stayed well away from most people, hiding you can almost say. It's fair to say that I wasn't a people person. But as the years past by, I kept thinking and thinking about what really life would have been like if... just if...

Nah, I was living on this farm, and my friends were the crops. I didn't need anybody else, I thought.

In the morning, I got up from my bed and went into the kitchen and poured some water and ate some cereal. It was my morning routine.

Next I would go out into the crops and plant some scarecrows. There had been a lot of crows lately, and the old scarecrows we had had previously had been very badly damaged by a small fire a few years ago.

Comments