Screeching Crawlers Part 2

I walked out of the cabin and walked to a shed which was a few feet away.

Coming out of the dark gloom inside the shed and emerging into the warm light, I carried with me a scarecrow.

These were much more terrifying than the ones before, which hadn't worked well anyway. These would certainly do the trick.

I had seen them in the town's shopping mall, and immediately knew that I had to buy them. It was the eyes that did it for me, well, actually it was the faces.

Their faces were dark, covered in moss and they had two staring white eyes protruding from the dark. It was like one of those horror films you saw at night. It did look like it would come alive and start eating everybody.

I walked with it through the crops until I reached a circle which my father and I had made in order to place these things.

With precision, I slammed the scarecrow down with the pointy end into the ground, so as to secure it. It wouldn't fall easily now.

I went back and did the same procedure with the other scarecrows in other circles in the crops which we had made previously.

It was hard work because the scarecrows were heavy and lifting them was no easy feat, but I did it and afterwards went and cooked myself some food.

My parents had left me their chicken's as well. We all loved the chicken's and my father always, everyday, gave them lots of seeds. He loved to feed them. He would come round occasionally and feed them, but not as frequently as he used to.

I had that job now, but I wouldn't call it a job. It was fun. I liked the chicken's as well, and so had my mother. They gave us eggs and company.

Their cage was situated next to the shed where the scarecrows had come out from. It was a medium sized cage, but they had plenty of room to roam free and sometimes I would let them out in the field. They would come back, I knew that. There was no feeling of them running away. Never. They were good old chicken's after all.

I fed the their seeds and picked each one of them up. There were only five of them, so it didn't take me long to cuddle each one.

Afterwards, I left the cage and went back to the cabin where I watched some TV.

Most of the time the TV didn't show anything that peaked my interest, but sometimes, and these times were really rare, they did show something that made me interested.

Today was not one of those days, so I switched it off and lay on the sofa, reading a book.

It was a warm day today, as it had been for the past two months. Before, there had been a flesh crawling cold which had swept all the crops and the cabin. It hadn't snowed, but it had gotten close to it. Those had been hard times.

Now I was just happy that it was warm again.

Just then I heard a knock on the window pane. I thought it was a crow, so I got up from where I was laying and looked at where I thought the knock had come from. It had come from behind me and I was startled.

There was nothing there.

I looked out and saw a crow laying dead on the ground just outside my window. It's guts looked like they had been pulled out from it's chest and were laying in front of its body on the floor.

Poor crow.

I looked up at the crops and saw a pale white face staring at me from between the crops. It was a blink-and-miss moments and the face disappeared into the crops. I quickly ran out onto the porch and, brandishing my shotgun, walked cautiously into the crops.

There were a lot of crops, so it did take me a while, but I found nothing.

Whatever I had seen, whoever I had seen, wasn't there anymore. I looked everywhere. But I was sure that I had seen someone. Someone with the most pale face I had ever seen. It was just inhuman, that face. It had had bold eyes and looked straight into the depths of your soul.

Wherever it was, I locked the cabin's doors that night, along with the shed and the chicken cage. I didn't want to let that thing in, because I was sure that it was a 'thing'.

Comments