The House of the Devil

Inline image

The House of the Devil is a horror movie where a student accepts a job as a babysitter for an old couple. I won't spoil the rest, but it is fairly routine and predictable. I liked the build-up, with it's long shots and scratchy film quality. It looks authentically old-fashioned. The acting is good all around. 

But I expected so much more horror. There's hardly any apart from the ending which is enjoyable, but fairly run-of-the-mill. I usually would say that that isn't a bad thing, but I had heard some really good things about this movie, so I expected something different. What we get is a satanic horror where satanists do bad stuff at the end (and a bit in the middle). 

I still think this is a good movie, it's just that I was expecting it to be different. I would still recommend it. 

Comments